Re: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor ta

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor tags
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:14:47 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: Greg Marr <address@hidden>

>>For example: I could have a tag which
>>pointed to
> <http://www.some.site/sample.cgi?para=1&curren=GBP>http://www.some.site/samp
> le.cgi?para=1&curren=GBP (sending the
>>two key/value pairs of para=1 and curren=GBP). Most browsers (including lynx
>>2.6) would send this as it appears above when the link was selected, but
>            ^incorrectly
>>lynx 2.8 substitutes the universal currency symbol for &curren.

1998-05-02 (2.8.1dev.8)
* Fix for CGI-related URLs processing (syntax:  ?x=1&yz=2).  To avoid interfere
  with SGML we restrict '=' as terminator for a named entity, this only applied
  for HREF= attribute translation (LYCharUtils.c).  (reported by Alex Matulich
  address@hidden & FM).  - LP

> As it should.

NO/yes. According SGML/HTML entities should begins with '&' and ends with ';'
but most modern browsers do not interesting in terminator and read
characters until got match or mismatch. So HTML 4.0 says that entities
may be not terminated (=we have a repertoire of terminators).
Old browsers do not understand any entities
but modern probably check URL in the special way (this violate SGML).
So we made a fix because it is highly unlikely to broke URL
for this special case.