RE: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor tags

From: Greg Marr
Subject: RE: lynx-dev Conversion of special character codes within anchor tags
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:40:26 -0400

At 12:25 PM 9/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> This are a different subjects: URL/URI in HTTP transmission
>> and HREF='...' in HTML which may be encoding as other HTML entries
>> (I do not like this either but just explain AS IS).
>
>Surely, the point is that the URL in the HREF tag _becomes_ the URL in the
>HTTP transmission, so one should be compatible with the other.

No, that is not the point.

The browser reads
<http://www.some.site/sample.cgi?para=1&gt=GBP>http://www.some.site/sample.
cgi?para=1&amp;gt=GBP
which is converted by the HTML parser to
<http://www.some.site/sample.cgi?para=1>=GBP>http://www.some.site/sample.cg
i?para=1&gt=GBP
by character entity substitution before it is sent to the server.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden