Re: lynx-dev Cookie problems?

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookie problems?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:03:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "brian j. pardy" <address@hidden>
> For example, the New York Times pages <URL:http://www.nytimes.com/> ask
> for user/password authentication when you go to a story, and after
> authentication send you a cookie. Authentication will fail if you have
> this cookie, but if you gobble it, you can continue through the site.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a problem with Lynx's handling, or the servers not
> following specs. Some sites seem to handle cookie-based authentication
> perfectly (example: slashdot -- <URL:http://www.slashdot.org/>).

I have the same problem with shopping.com.  I get different pages
when a cookie is present than when I gobble my shopping.com cookies.
I know very little about cookies and what they arre supposed to do.
I don't know if my username and password at shopping.com is somehow
encoded in the cookie.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanx.
--le