lynx-dev Is there any way to Turn Off Certain Status Messages?

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: lynx-dev Is there any way to Turn Off Certain Status Messages?
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 07:44:12 -0500

        I am using Lynx Version 2.8rel.2 (1998) which I installed on a
Sun Sparc Ultra.  Is there any way to make it less verbose in telling
me what it is doing?  I am blind and use a speech synthesizer on the
P.C. which accesses this system so as far as the UNIX side is
concerned, I am running a VT100 terminal.  What I want to be able to
turn off are messages that appear briefly while a new link is being
traversed.  In other words, unless there is a problem, I don't want to
hear messages like:

Getting http://www.dalsemi.com/Looking up www.dalsemi.com.
Making HTTP connection to www.dalsemi.com.
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Read 205 bytes of data.
1.0 200 OK
Read 1460 of 5998 bytes of data.
Data transfer complete

        These messages are sent on the status line and constantly
overwritten so I simply captured the data stream for illustration
purposes.

        As problems go, this one is _WAY_ down on the list.  The only
reason I am asking is that the documentation says that one can call
lynx as in lynx -status to suppress status messages.  When I do that,
there is no change that I can tell.

        This is an excellent browser and nobody should take what I am
saying as a gripe.  I wonder if I am not doing something correctly or
what.

        I am not subscribed to this list so please reply directly to
me.  Also, how do I subscribe?  Thanks to all.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group