lynx-dev Default cookies filename: ~/.lynx_cookies or ~/cookies?

From: Wilson Cheung
Subject: lynx-dev Default cookies filename: ~/.lynx_cookies or ~/cookies?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:57:55 -0700

While we're still sorting out how to best deal with persistent cookies, did
we ever officially decide whether "~/.lynx_cookies" or "~/cookies" would
be the default cookie filename?

In lynx.cfg, there is the following section:

# COOKIE_FILE is the default file to store persistent downloaded cookies
# in, if Lynx was compiled with EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES. The cookie file
# can also be specified in .lynxrc or on the commandline.
#COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies

Traditionally, I've always treated such commented out configuration
parameters like "#COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies" in lynx.cfg as the built-in
hardcoded compiled-in default (either actually specified in userdefs.h or
in a *.h or *.c file in the lynx src directory).

That way, in order to minimize the number of manual edits I needed to do
every time I upgraded lynx, only if I didn't like the built-in default
filename, I'd uncomment that parameter line in lynx.cfg and change it.

Currently, it appears that if one leaves this COOKIE_FILE parameter
in lynx.cfg commented out as shipped, lynx only wants to use the
"~/cookies" file instead of the expected "~/.lynx_cookies" file.

I think the bug is in LYMain.c within the EXP_PERSISTENT_COOKIES section
of the code.  It appears that if COOKIE_FILE is NULL, then lynx always
goes and creates/uses "~/cookies".

Lynx is lynx2.8.1pre.3.  OS is SunOS 4.1.4.

--
Wilson Cheung
address@hidden