Re: lynx-dev Lynx for DOS SSL support?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for DOS SSL support?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:57:31 +0100 (BST)

> instructions on how to do it, if this is even possible.  If this is
> not possible, do you know of a publicly accessible SSL proxy that
> I could use by putting it in the HTTPS_Proxy variable in my
> lynx.cfg file?  I know I'd lose some security this way, but it'd at
> least let me use these sites!

You'd be less secure than going to the original site without encryption,
as there would be a significant risk that the proxy existed to concentrate
sensiitive traffic to maximise the chance of collecting information useful
for fraud.

Note that Lynx is probably the only current browser that will proxy https
in this way; the big 2 use a special proxy mode where the proxy relays
at the TCP level and the browser still does the encryption - this is only
useful for getting through outbound firewalls.

Note that the better managed sites do provide a non-HTTPS option for
credit card information, with appropriate warnings.

> One more thing.  I'm not sure if this is a mailing list which I
> must subscribe to in order to get replies, or just a thing where I

It is a mailing list, and one which overrides the reply to address
to the list.  Subscription details should be findable from the
web sites built into the default configuration.  (It's a long time
since I subscribed.)