Re: lynx-dev Preventing news header modification

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Preventing news header modification
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:47:09 +0900 (JST)

> I am using a modified verstion of Lynx 2.7. Are there any patches or
> has a more recent version been released which fixes the news header
> problem? I

Lynx2-8-1 is soon to be released.  Lynx2-8 is a stable release.  See:
"http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/";.

> don't want people to be able to modify any of the headers. I can
> remove the prompts but the headers are written out to the file and
> then it may be edited by the user.
>
> Also, how about the ability to cancel posts from within Lynx?

Lynx is not, nor never was intended to be, a complete news reader/
poster.  Lynx is first and foremost a Web browser.  If you need a
full-fledged news application for your users, you should not be using
Lynx.  (Simple news posting was incorporated into Lynx only to take the
place of the plug-in inews program that was once shipped with Lynx.)  I
believe you could continue to use Lynx as a shell interface for your
users and offer them mail (e.g. pine) and news (e.g. trn) either through
the "jump" or "external" mechanisms.

__Henry