Re: lynx-dev Need your help on running LYNX

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Need your help on running LYNX
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:51:16 +0100 (BST)

>       I have successfully installed LYNX on my HP UNIX workstation but can
> not access internet. When I start LYNX, I got the following error message:
>

>                                                       Error- 403
>
> Access denied by policy

If you did a default install and got one of these, one of the following
is probably true:

- you have a very old version with the wrong default home page;

- the default home page was broken temporarily;

- you are behind a firewall and the system administrator is running a
  transparent proxy for port 80, and you are not a permitted user of
  it.

In the first two cases start lynx with a URL or a local directory name
on the command line.  In the first case, also get current source code.

In the third case, talk to your local system administrator.  (A transparent
proxy intercepts attempts to access the real internet on a particular port
number and redirects the requests to a local proxy server, which can,
for example, cache pages.  There is an ISP in the UK that is doing this
for SMTP, to ensure that spammers always go through their server and can
be monitored, and for HTTP, presumably to allow them to cache requests.)