Re: lynx-dev problem with tvgen

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with tvgen
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 23:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Laura Eaves wrote:

> First, delete (or move) your cookie file.
> Go to http://www.tvgen.com/tv/listings/
> Cursor down to link 2 ("Enter") and hit return.
> Log on as ricklew with password 3234606
> Cursor down to link 5 ("Search").  Hit return.
> You get the bad request message.
>
> Exit lynx.  Start up again at http://www.tvgen.com/tv/listings/
> Cursor down to link 2 ("Enter").  Hit return.
> At this point I get hte bad request message and a blank page.

I tried it with dev.16 and everything happened the way you said. Then I
decided to give a look into the .lynx_cookies file and found something
interesting. Here's part of it:

.tvgen.com      FALSE   /tv/listings    FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /tv/listings    FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /tv/listings    FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /tv/listings    FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /tv/listings    FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.tvgen.com   FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.campmor.com FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.excite.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.excite.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.yahoo.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.hotbot.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...

I noticed that some of the tvgen cookies were different from the other ones.
Those different cookies had that "/tv/listings" thing, a path. I decided to
delete the "tv/listings/" and it became this:

.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.tvgen.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.tvgen.com   FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.campmor.com FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.excite.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.excite.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.yahoo.com      FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
www.hotbot.com  FALSE   /       FALSE   ...
.hotbot.com     FALSE   /       FALSE   ...

Then I accessed tvgen again the way you said in the second part and had no
more "Bad request" messages. It seemed that everything was working fine. I
quit Lynx and gave a look into .lynx_cookies. The "/tv/listings" were back
there. I accessed tvgen again and this time I got the "Bad request" message
and the blank screen.

I don't know whose fault it is but it seems that the key to the problem is
that "tv/listings" thing.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden           |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.cam.org/~ismael/     |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |