Re: lynx-dev Cookie problems?

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookie problems?
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 22:17:13 -0500 (CDT)

Amazingly enough Rob Partington said:
> Ugh, then you get into all sorts of file-locking horribleness that leads
> to the kind of race condition possibilities that the tmp files had a while
> back.  Personally, I prefer to stay as far away from hacked-up lockfile
> solutions as possible.  I'm going for the gdbm/db solution, personally.

Won't even gdbm/db have problems with NFS home dirs mounted from multiple
machines (also assuming that lynx being ran on multiple machines).  Not to
mention portability problems (is gdbm being maintain still?  VMS?).

If a multiple directories isn't a solution, how about a client/server
solution.

Lynx fires up, finds no "lynx acting as server", opens up a receiving port
and is willing to accept connections on a socket which it publishes in a
file somewhere.  That server will always maintain accesses to the cookie
file.  On systems that support it, lynx could fork off a system just to
handle that, and perhaps DNS look ups as well (preforking).

When a lynx starts up, it checks to see if something is registered,
verifies it's still there, then uses it to access cookies.

Just a random thought (and something not easily implemented, but probably
a better overall solution than locking files).

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all