lynx-dev comments on "compile time settings"

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: lynx-dev comments on "compile time settings"
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 01:46:21 -0700

Some things that ought to change, but not until after 2.8.1 is
released...

Currently, as soon as you go to the INFO page ('='), temp files are
immediately created to hold the "compile time settings" and "your
lynx.cfg" pages.  I think these should be created on demand.  I also
find it ugly that (in "advanced" user mode, or on the INFO page) these
show temp file URLs.

I'd like to suggest that Lynx adopt the Netscapism of "about:" URLs.
These would be internal URLs, contents constructed on demand.  Currently
we have LYNXKEYMAP: as the back-end of the "K" KEYMAP command; and the
above two pages.  I propose these be changed to "about:compile",
"about:lynx.cfg", and "about:keymap".  We may later want to add other
"about:" choices; and I may have forgotten others.  It might also make
sense to change ^H HISTORY and "V" VLINKS to "about:history" and
"about:visited".  I dunno.

Basically, it bugs me any time Lynx shows me a temp file name which is
some detail of Lynx's internal implementation.  I'd rather have it hide
these all behind opaque internal URL names.

If the "about:" name seems too derivative, we could use "lynx:" instead,
i.e. "lynx:compile", "lynx:cfg", "lynx:keymap", etc.