Re: lynx-dev forms-options patch

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev forms-options patch
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 05:42:21 -0400 (EDT)

981007 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> The description of Forms Options in INSTALLATION _may_ have been misleading,

it sure is misleading ...

> but I don't think that means it should be withdrawn.
> The option itself is IMO an excellent use of the autoconf feature.
> If people understand what it does, why take it out?
> Your above explanation is perfectly clear,
> so perhaps some of that explanation should go into INSTALLATION.
> Perhaps the configure option naming was poor,
> and it should be "--disable-old-options-menu".
> Maybe it should be a --with/without pair rather than --enable/disable.

infinite flexibility is found only with infinite disintegration:
there needs to be some reason to include a choice
& who needs forcibly to exclude the old Menu unless Lynx drops it altogether,
which we should certainly consider doing at some point?
as i understand it, LP's patch simply leaves the choice to  lynx.cfg ,
which is where it should be as a non-security feature
(cp your & my comments in other messages recently).