Re: lynx-dev rc save bug

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev rc save bug
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

> 981007 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > there's more than one program named 'strace'.
> > look in  http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/strace-3.1.tar.gz
> > or  -/-/-/distributions/slackware/source/d/strace/strace-3.1.0.1.tar.gz
>
> i grabbed the former, ran configure (without problems),
> then make, which gave up after  50  warnings (they haven't hear of IRIX),
> BUT left me a binary which at least tells me its switches when asked.

that's odd.  (I don't have a 5.3 system right now, but remember that it
built cleanly on 5.2 - it took me about an hour to make it build on 6.2).

> assuming it in fact works, what should i do with it next?
> there's no sign of help/man file(s) in the break-out.

it should be there...

STRACE(1)                 User Commands                 STRACE(1)

NAME
     strace - trace system calls and signals

SYNOPSIS
     strace [ -dffhiqrtttTvxx ] [ -acolumn ] [ -eexpr ] ...  [  -
     ofile  ] [ -ppid ] ...  [ -sstrsize ] [ command [ arg ...  ]
     ]

     strace -c [ -eexpr ] ...  [ -Ooverhead ] [ -Ssortby ] [ com-
     mand [ arg ...  ] ]

DESCRIPTION
     In the simplest case strace runs the specified command until
     it  exits.  It intercepts and records the system calls which

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden