Re: lynx-dev rc save bug

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev rc save bug
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:09:54 -0400 (EDT)

> like, why, why & why (restrains unparliamentary language)?
> this is a security concern for those folx who run anonymous stuff,
> not for normal people who compile their own Lynx in their own computer
> or their own directories in a shared system:
> there's no reason at all why  .lynxrc  should meet  IsOurFile()'s  demands;
> and why hasn't it happened to other people?

there's pros/cons :

        + a link set up as described should be from a directory that isn't
          world writable.

        + afaik, there's no reliable way to determine if that directory is
          owned by a privileged user (even '0' for root's is not universal
          in the quasi-Unix clones, I'm told - but I decided to neglect
          those - they're very rare).

But, like Bela, I'm curious who owns the directory where the link is (sounds
like "/" - which should be owned by root - the convention afaik is to have
root own all of the nonvolatile stuff, and privileged "users" such as "bin"
and "news" own facilities).

> anyway, thanx lots to you for helping, tho' your fix doesn't work (below):
It should - the code goes through one point (maybe this is a different
problem).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden