Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 07:09:46 -0400 (EDT)

> 981008 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > to find out who does own things, you can use 'ls':
> > eg  cd /  ls -lad .  cd /homes  ls -lad .  cd /homes/purslow  ls -lad .
>
> the result of those commands is:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   32 root     sys         1024 Sep 30 12:28 .
> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     sys        99328 Oct  6 17:24 .
> drwx--x--x    9 purslow  user         512 Oct  7 15:36 .

hmm.  perhaps it's the link-to-link scenario.  I'll make a stab at that
for the next patch (would like to get feedback on nsl-fork first, but if
I complete this change first, will put out the patch...)

> > lxstat(2, "/homes/purslow", {st_mode=S_IFLNK|0755, st_size=18, ...}) = 0
>
> what is  lxstat() ?  ie is it in Lynx or part of the shell/kernel/what ?

no - lxstat is an internal name for your system's stat/lstat functions.

(there's probably some upcoming standard that governs the name, but I
don't know what it is).

> my reward for laboring at a problem caused -- inadvertently, i know --
> on behalf of people running anonymous sites
> -- see Archive Sep [445 622 769] Aug [11] --
> is to learn more about how UNIX & related software work ...
>
> I (capitalised for once) have no security problem,
> nor do the majority of Lynx users & installers:
> these problems arise ONLY for sites with anonymous users.
> IMHO NO-ONE should allow anonymous users at a site with non-anonymous users;
> better still, site managers should set up free shell userids
> for people with valid library/student/etc cards:
> miscreants can then be identified & expelled.
>
> so back to solving the Lynx code problem ... (smile).
no problem

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden