Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 01:47:50 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: Bela Lubkin <address@hidden>

> Here's the proper way to do what you want -- and this is definitely for
> post-2.8.1 work.  Add a third table to specify domain name endings which
> you do not want guessed.  You might have:

>   URL_DOMAIN_PREFIXES:www.
>   URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES:.com,.edu,.net,.org
>   URL_DOMAIN_NOGUESS_SUFFIXES:.ru,.ca,.uk,.com,.edu,.net,.org

> The third line is a list of suffixes which are to be considered terminal
> -- no guesses should be appended to them.  Note that I've included .com
> and so on in my sample entry; this prevents guesses like "can't find
> yabbayabbayabba.com, trying yabbayabbayabba.com.com".  It would *seem*
> sensible to automatically include URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES in
> URL_DOMAIN_NOGUESS_SUFFIXES, but we retain more flexibility if we don't.
> Then the user can choose to or not, by what he puts in the NOGUESS
> string.

This tend to be very complex for user. And definitely not a good idea to
include country domains in this list, lots of countries here around.
One that I proposed was to add a boolean like
URL_DOMAIN_NOGUESS_TWO_LETTER_SUFFIXES:TRUE
Probably, we should disable any domain guessing by default
except for few strongly suggested suffixes like ".com"
BTW, we can set an empty guess by URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES:.