Re: lynx-dev Proposed patch (DOS related)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Proposed patch (DOS related)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:25:29 +0900 (JST)

> >> (LYNX_CFG_FILE from autoconf seems to be a best candidate on UNIX).
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I suppose this file may be modified slightly,
>                  not exactly as from distribution. But it
>                  (almost) definitely exist and complete.

Am I misunderstanding what LYNX_CFG_FILE is?  I don't understand why you
say it need be "complete".  If I do not modify the code to point to the
complete distribution lynx.cfg on my http server, when I go to the `='Info
page, then [2]compile time settings, then [1]your lynx.cfg, then
distribution's [1]lynx.cfg, I display a file that is 662/83884th the
size of the distribution one.  This happens because I switch a minimal
lynx.cfg for the distribution one before running ./configure.

> > annotated lynx.cfg, it could be set to point to "http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/
> > current/lynx2-8-1/lynx.cfg", much as the default help points to "http://
[...]
> I was thinking of it. If someone use lynx_help from remote http:// source
> but not from local files - lynx.cfg will be found currently
> if located in lynx_help directory. But we should care

I beg that you do not recommend putting it in lynx_help.  Please _copy_ it
into lynx_doc/samples, ONLY when "make install-doc" is done.

> of localhost users either. So, this questions may need
> some more fooling for finding an optimal variant (this is not
> a coding problem, just a consensus on the lynx-dev).

Actually, to do what has been on the to-do list for quite some time, namely
being able to specify a URL to reach the help files that is different from
the locally installed help file set, may require some coding.

__Henry