Re: lynx-dev lynx's uses in Arizona (was: anonymous usage of lynx)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx's uses in Arizona (was: anonymous usage of lynx)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 08:37:11 -0400 (EDT)

981009 Juan-Carlos Lerman wrote:
> Also in Tucson, AZ, the Public Library (city and county) provides free
> public access through Lynx, *including* book and other catalogs.
> The local university (U of Arizona) and Community College (Pima) provide
> free public access through Lynx and also their catalogs can be accessed
> through Lynx. And the same can be said for the other two state universities
> (Arizona State, and Northern Arizona). In brief, the number of potential
> users of Lynx in this state is equal to the nummber of permanent residents
> plus the *winter visitors* who not only use the web as source of information
> and to search the libraries catalogs, but also telnet through Lynx to keep
> in touch with friends and relatives in their home state. Needless to say,
> if the anonymous Lynx were to be discontinued it would be felt as bad
> as a deterioration in the transportation and communication infrastructures.
> Note also that for many individuals graphic browsers are not a choice
> (even if provided anonymously): scholars seeking text info, persons affected
> by attention deficit disorders and sleep disorders, and many others.
> Please add also my expression of appreciation to all the Lynx volunteers!

no-one here is proposing to "discontinue" Lynx for anonymous users,
which would be difficult, as it is available for anyone to use free.
what is at issue is how far the current development effort should
be distracted by the need to deal with special security problems
which may occur for sites with anonymous users.

those who value the services offered thro' anonymous Lynx sites
should be prepared to take all sensible measures to protect themselves
-- eg by running their anonymous Lynx in a separate machine if possible --
& to try to contribute their own time & skills to the development effort.
so far,  4  managers of anonymous sites have spoken up in appreciation,
but i don't remember ever hearing of  2  of them before
& i'm not sure if the other  2  have ever contributed improvements.