Re: lynx-dev Proposed patch (DOS related)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Proposed patch (DOS related)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> LYNX_CFG_FILE is one that defined by autoconf or userdefs.h (if
> you do not use autocunf). The code Doug was objecting at work
> as following: if you was compiled with autoconf it use symbol
> LYNX_CFG_FILE as a path for "complete" lynx.cfg file for info
> page... "Complete" means the comments does not removed.

Please see code in LYMain.c which determines lynx_cfg_file. This
is the file specified by -cfg= on the command line; or if not
specified there "LYNX_CFG" from the environment; or defaulting to
"LYNX_CFG_FILE". So LYNX_CFG_FILE should be the default file for the
active lynx.cfg file. Why do you think that it will be complete,
and not altered to suit whoever is doing the installation? Or am I
misreading what is happening here?

> DOS/WINDOWS do not supposed to have a fixed directory structure so
> they do not have default path in LYNX_CFG_FILE. It was proposed
> by me **for those platforms only** to suggest putting a copy of
> lynx.cfg in lynx_help/ dir, as was clearly described in CHANGES.
> Other suggestions always welcome, but please read docs first.

This is why I said that I didn't understand the reasoning behind the
changes. DOS and Windows systems are typically single-user systems. If
the user wants to keep the comments, it is easier to keep them in the
active lynx.cfg file, rather than maintain a duplicate unchanged file
from the distribution.
                             Doug

__
Doug Kaufman