Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.9

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.9
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:12:46 -0400 (EDT)

981010 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> 981010 Philip Webb wrote:
>> (2) there's a very misleading description of Forms Options
>>     in INSTALLATION, `configure' & `configure -help':
>>     ` --enable-forms-options ' means ` --disable-forms-menu ',
   MEA CVLPA : should be `options'                  ^^^^^
>>     ie if you want BOTH you should OMIT this item from configure,
>>     when you can toggle between them via  lynx.cfg  & command-line;
>>     if you INCLUDE this item in configure, you CAN'T toggle.
>>     surely the name of this configure switch should be changed?
> come up with a short name for the option that's mnemonic enough
> to make everyone figure out what the reverse logic would mean.
> The logic works either way: someone needs to figure out how to explain it

presumably  --disable-options-menu :  --enable-options-menu  isn't needed;
the blurbs in  INSTALLATION  &  lynx.cfg  need minor revisions;
 EXP_FORMS_OPTIONS  needs changing to  NO_OPTIONS_MENU  everywhere;
default default -- is no configure switch or change in  lynx.cfg  --
should be to enable the options form, NOT the old menu (as now).

i can provide patches for the 1st  3  of these,
but at least need pointing to the right place to change the 4th.

indeed, do we still need the option of disabling the menu?
someone like NHE with physical machine constraints?
shouldn't we be preparing to abolish the menu with 2-8-2 ?