Re: lynx-dev Using hotmail with lynx

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Using hotmail with lynx
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:20:41 -0400 (EDT)

981011 David Woolley wrote:
> 981010 Philip Webb wrote:
>> 981010 lion wrote:
>>> what can I do to increase the number of lines in the "text-entry field"
>> allowing users access to an editor in such cases
>> presents security problems, which no-one has found a way round.
> Allowing an external editor is a very serious threat on captive systems,
> because it is very easy to exploit with most editors,
> and only requires the use of normal end user functions.
> The implication is that an external editor cannot be the only option;
> there must be an internal option as well.

it seems to me BL answered this well enough:
while the security bug-bear was raised in some discussions of this,
the facility could easily be switched off for anonymous users
-- who should not in any case be allowed to hold Lynx development captive --
so the real problem is that no-one has yet offered the coding
to allow use of an external editor in text-entry fields.
potential programmers should not be put off by security worries.