Re: lynx-dev tvgen cookie problem

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tvgen cookie problem
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, brian j. pardy wrote:

> The latest patch I made to cookie handling makes sure that Lynx stores
> cookies internally in the same order that it reads them from the
> COOKIE_FILE. I don't think this would be leading Lynx towards broken
> behavior, and if it helps Lynx be compatible with broken sites (while
> still following spec) I don't think it's a problem.

I did some comparative tests with pre.9, without and with your patch, using
the steps proposed by Laura. Here are the steps, numbered for easier
reference:

(1) First, delete (or move) your cookie file.
    [I emptied .lynx_cookies instead - IC]
(2) Go to http://www.tvgen.com/tv/listings/
(3) Cursor down to link 2 ("Enter") and hit return.
(4) Log on as ricklew with password 3234606
(5) Cursor down to link 5 ("Search").  Hit return.

(6) Exit lynx.  Start up again at http://www.tvgen.com/tv/listings/
(7) Cursor down to link 2 ("Enter").  Hit return.

And here are the results of each step:

pre.9 without patch
-------------------

(2) Got the first page
(3) Got the login page
(4) Got a "bad request" and the next page
(5) Got a "bad request" and the next page

(6) Got the first page
(7) Got a "bad request" and a blank page

pre.9 with patch

(2) Got the first page
(3) Got the login page
(4) Got a "bad request" and a blank page

(6) Got the first page
(7) Got a "bad request" and a blank page

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden           |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.cam.org/~ismael/     |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |