Re: lynx-dev anonymous usage of Lynx (was Arizona)

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev anonymous usage of Lynx (was Arizona)
Date: 12 Oct 1998 15:12:44 -0500

>> Lynx as a BBS door on OS/2.  Anonymous mode is too restrictive for
>> his use (because it blocks out all access to ftp URL's), but he MUST
>> disable such things as subshells, save to disk, etc.  Since OS/2

NHE> It can be done on Unix at least (since the days of 2.7 or perhaps
NHE> even earlier -- don't know about OS/2).  Check Section 4 of
NHE> userdefs.h, in particular ca. lines 1365-1393.  He should be able
NHE> to set the following pair to allow g)oto to ftp with the
NHE> -anonymous switch.

Yes, he can.  Reportedly all of the restrictions-related stuff works
fine on OS/2; my point was that since OS/2 does not have multiuser
security at the OS level, he needs to use a variety of -restrictions
flags on the command line in order to give his BBS users enough access
(more than -anonymous) but no more.

I was just pointing out cases where the restrictions code is useful,
and why it should be maintained.  (As to why he's using OS/2 for this
and not something better suited like Linux?  It's an existing BBS,
he's had it running for 5 years or so and doesn't want to change...he
just wants to give his users a www doorway)

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |