Re: lynx-dev QUIT_DEFAULT_YES: no?

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev QUIT_DEFAULT_YES: no?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:11:35 +0400 (MSD)

>      * From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>

> 981015 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>> 1998-10-10 (2.8.1pre.9)
>> * change defaults in lynx.cfg and userdefs.h, add comments - PW
>>   (c) QUIT_DEFAULT_YES defaults to FALSE
>> Please return quit_default_yes back to TRUE
>> as it was for all previous lynx releases.
>> It is really uncomfortable to get this behaviour changed
>> without user intervention.

> this can easily be changed in  lynx.cfg ;
> my reasoning is that the average user will prefer the safer default.
> there appears to be  1  clear vote each way: what do others think?

"average user" will prefer stability, to see things familiar as he knows them
for years, without unexpected changes. There is nothing dangerous if quitting
after the first question without the second. If someone check this option in
lynx.cfg previously he will stay with that (OK). Another situation for new
features: sometimes it is reasonable to switch them ON by default to show the
new choise for user.