Re: lynx-dev bug still remaining in latest development release of lynx

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bug still remaining in latest development release of lynx
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:25:57 -0700

Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I've sent email about this a few times in the past.  Perhaps the
> email just never reached the list.

> I go to <URL:http://www.altavista.digital.com/>.
> I type in the search file
>
> doc2.zip palm
>
> and hit search.  I realize that's not exactly what I want.  I move the
> cursor back to the search terms.  I use the left cursor to move back.  I
> insert a "+ at the first of the line. The text is being shifted right.
> As I right arrow, I see that when the cursor hits the period the right arrow
> doesn't move.  I hit the right arrow again and the period is overwritten with
> the z.  Another right arrow and the z is overwritten with the i, etc.

I read every message, and I don't remember seeing this problem mentioned
before.  Odd.

Anyway, I am not able to duplicate it.  I tried 2.8.1pre.10, 2.8.1pre.1,
and 2.8.1dev.24 (three random versions I happened to have around).  All
under SCO OpenServer (5.0.0, 5.0.4, 5.0.5) using SCO's native compiler
and curses, and SCO "ansi" terminal emulation under scoterm (mutant
xterm derivative).

> Platform: Solaris 2.5.1 SPARC Sun C compiler ncurses 4.2 + patches
> thru this week, lynx 2.8.1.dev23 plus the patch for the break tag.

Can you build with native curses or slang -- anything but ncurses --
just to eliminate that as a variable?  Native curses ought to work,
maybe with reduced functionality, but well enough to test this
problem...

Can you try a different terminal emulator and/or same one with different
emulation turned on?  It could be a subtle problem in the terminfo
description you're using.

Do I remember right that you typically build with the "experimental
color styles" stuff turned on?  That might be significant; try with it
disabled.