Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 09:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> > > I have far too much experience with pieces of code that are kept
> > > around to "parallel" something new. They inevitably rot.
> >
> > They don't "rot" by themselves. It's the programmers who let it "rot".
>
> I advise you to become a "programmer":  to ensure that Lynx - or whatever
> program you're interested in - retains the features you want. Bear in mind
> that's the reason for my involvement with Lynx; I expect you to do
> likewise.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Thomas, but I think that Bela's message
offended all Lynx users, especially those who participate in Lynx-Dev. The
rope has two ends: the programmer and the user. Without the user the
programmer wouldn't know of many bugs in his code. I have no intention of
becoming a programmer. I'm in the other end of the rope. However, I've
already made a few direct contributions to the Lynx code. Does it make me a
programmer or a "programmer"? I've been particpating in Lynx-Dev since 1995
and besides my few direct contributions I've made many suggestions that were
implemented in Lynx and reported many bugs that were removed. Because of my
participation in Lynx-Dev I've had to learn many things to be able to submit
correct reports. That even led Foteos to say, in 1996, "I love your detailed
bug reports!!!!"

I thank you very much for your hard work in the development of Lynx, as well
as the other programmers who contributed to it, but I beleive that someone
who is commited to a _public_ release of a program has to listen to the
public. It wouldn't make sense to contribute to a _public_ release of a
program just to "to ensure that Lynx - or whatever program you're interested
in - retains the features you want". A programmer who wanted just that could
do it in his personal version. For example, even not being a programmer,
I've done some small changes in my personal versions of Lynx to fit my
tastes, like removing that annoying Description/Filepath header in the
bookmarks files, changing "KB" to "kbytes" ("K" is not a valid prefix and
"B" is the SI unit for Bel) in the download progress report and highlighting
the commands in the non-forms options menu (a patch I submitted to Lynx-Dev
that has not been incorporated to the code).

Anyway, even if they are not taken into consideration, I'll keep sending
messages to Lynx-Dev reporting bugs and problems, and asking for features to
be implemented or kept in the code.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden           |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.cam.org/~ismael/     |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |