Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 13:55:42 -0500 (CDT)

Amazingly enough Ismael Cordeiro said:
> That "problem" could be corrected by implementing more pages in the
> non-forms menu, with one option per page. The space bar would be used for
> changing pages, in the same way as in the multi-bookmarks menu.

Try using the old options code on a screen that isn't 23-25 lines or
greater or is > 25 lines.  It either doesn't work or looks horrible.

Now, try using the forms based options code on something like that.

I often like to run lynx in a half-sized screen.

When I decided I wanted to enhance the lynx options code, this was a
concern of mine.

So, when looking at the options code, simply making another page wasn't
going to work.  It would still have 25 line problem.

I thought about making a virtual screen, and having a way to scroll through
it.  Then I realized two things.

First, horizontal isn't considered.

Second, vertical is already implemented as a basic capability of lynx
already.

And, for probably a couple of years, talk had be bantered about on the list
concerning a forms based options menu.  So I decided to implement it.

I could have tried to implement something like what you suggested.
However, the difficulty would have been an order of magnitude greater.
From both a time perspective and a code resuability issue, this was the
better solution.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all