Re: lynx-dev Phillip's guide for beginners

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Phillip's guide for beginners
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:20:35 +0900 (JST)

> I think we should include this small document under lynx_help
> directory and a link from 'h'elp page.

Please do not include any more documents, no matter how small, in the
help directory.  1) Once included, it is almost impossible to get any
one to remove it even if it becomes out-dated.  2) Once included, it
becomes the responsibility of the developers to maintain it.  3) Non-
essential documentation should not be included whenever possible.

As always, links to the html document from lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
are welcome.  Preferably such links would use the http protocol,
although there is nothing inherently wrong with ftp or gopher since
Lynx does those.  Isn't "hypertext" the spirit of the Internet --
centrally localizing documents so that they do not have to be physically
duplicated over and over again?  Isn't that really why Lynx was created
in the first place?

If anything is to be added to the documents, a list of links would be
much more worthwhile.  There are LOTS of great lynx pages out there.
They can't all be included physically in the distribution, but providing
the URL to them is the same thing.

If Phillip, or any one else, absolutely cannot provide http, ftp or
gopher access to their Lynx support documents, I personally will
provide space for their gzipped (or bz2'd) document(s).  Although
my lynx-related site has been stable for 2 1/2 + years, and in all
probability will remain around for a while, something that needs to be
worked on is getting a repository under http://lynx.browser.org/ set up
to hold just such documents.

__Henry