persistent cookie config (was Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.11)

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: persistent cookie config (was Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.11)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 address@hidden wrote:

[enable-persistent-cookies]
> > Are you saying it is changing too often to be an option in lynx.cfg, or
> > only to be enabled by default?
>
> no - I'm satisfied with the way it's packaged - it's visible (the release
> page should list it), easy to configure in.

I don't have any problem with it staying as it is right now, and I think
enough people seeing the release and deciding to compile it up will look
through the release info and I hope INSTALLATION.

> > I think as long as we mention in lynx.cfg that it is experimental, there
> > wouldn't be any problem with making it an option there. What I have in
> > mind here is some busy sysadmin compiles with --enable-persistent-cookies,
> > then finds some big show-stopper problem with it and wants to disable
> > them from lynx.cfg without recompiling the binary.
>
> yes/no/maybe - there's more than one consideration:
>
>       + how complicated the patch would be (it's simple to add to lynx.cfg,
>         but I've not looked at what would have to be done to LYCookies.c)

From what I remember offhand, nearly everything could just be surrounded
by a if(LYPersistentCookies) { } or some such. A couple places might need
to be reorganized, but nothing too large.

>         documentation impact is low (lynx.cfg is its own documentation)
>
>       + feature creep (each time an issue comes up like this, it delays
>         3-4 days while people say it will/won't be releasable unless the
>         new feature is in .lynxrc and/or the options menu.

Heh.

Personally, I wouldn't want it in .lynxrc or the options menu, as if the
person maintaining lynx on that machine enables persistent cookies,
individual users who don't want them can probably use /dev/null as the
cookie file, or wrap lynx in a script.

> (your typical busy-sysadmin is more likely to put 2.7.1 back for general
> consumption than bother reporting the problem or even verifying that it's
> there)

No argument there.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4