Re: lynx-dev www.chaptersglobe.com

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev www.chaptersglobe.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, David Rovinsky wrote:

> I was trying to call up the new Canadian online bookstore,
> chaptersglobe.com (http://www.chaptersglobe.com).  I'm using Lynx 2.8rel.2
> on a Unix shell account.
>
> When I connect to it, the address redirects 3 or 4 times, before it asks
> me to accept a cookie.  I accept all cookies (A), then get the message
> that I am denied access because my browser does not support cookies.

This is another site which doesn't work because they make assumptions
based on the Agent name. When you go in with lynx, you can get cookies
from www.chaptersglobe.com, but not from .chaptersglobe.com. If you
spoof the User Agent to Mozilla/4.02, then the site seems to work. I
didn't go into the details of how they managed to do this.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)