Re: lynx-dev www.chaptersglobe.com

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev www.chaptersglobe.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:32:43 -0700

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998, David Rovinsky <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was trying to call up the new Canadian online bookstore,
> chaptersglobe.com (http://www.chaptersglobe.com).  I'm using Lynx 2.8rel.2
> on a Unix shell account.
>
> When I connect to it, the address redirects 3 or 4 times, before it asks
> me to accept a cookie.  I accept all cookies (A), then get the message
> that I am denied access because my browser does not support cookies.
>
> Anything I can tweak in my options to get into the site with Lynx?

I think the site is browser-sniffing.  Try spoofing Netscape
one time (I used 'Mozilla/4.04 [en] (L.Y.N.X)').  After I'd
done that one time, I didn't seem to need the spoofing to
get back in on subsequent sessions.

This *is* with persistant cookies -- you'll probably need to
either upgrade to a recent-enough version to have that (I
don't think 2.8rel.2 will do the trick) or spoof every time
you use the site.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>