lynx-dev Why does http://foo.bah/ turn into /foo.bah/ ?

From: Mark Burton
Subject: lynx-dev Why does http://foo.bah/ turn into /foo.bah/ ?
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:48:34 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to use lynx 2.8 on a Linux system that runs a squid proxy
cache (and most of the time doesn't have a connection to the Internet
and, therefore, can't resolve names).

Lynx 2.8 exhibits some odd behaviour which is probably due to
misconfiguration but I haven't found the problem yet.

If I specify an URL on the command line like this:

lynx http://www.xemacs.org/

I get a response like this from squid:

                                     ERROR

   While trying to retrieve the URL: /www.xemacs.org/

   The following error was encountered:
     * Invalid URL

   Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:
     * Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or
       similar)
     * Missing hostname
     * Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
     * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

I know that the cache contains the page I want because I can retrieve
its headers like this:

address@hidden: HEAD http://www.xemacs.org/
200 OK