Re: lynx-dev status

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev status
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:41:40 +0900 (JST)

> i'll try again: i have created a simple reformatting of the Main Help Page
> -- goto  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/helpmain.html  -- ,
> on which i have so far had no feedback: i believe it's easier to follow,

I'm not going to say one way or the other except to express my opinion.

        1) The statement "Lynx help in your local files:" is not necessarily
        true, i.e., there is nothing to prevent the help file set from being
        on a remote server.  Theoretically, a person could point to slcc.edu
        or any publically accessable http server carrying them to get into the
        help file tree.

        2) I have a very strong preference for a single-page main menu
        since I can flip from top to bottom without taking my fingers off
        of the alphanumeric keys.  (I use vi keys.)  Also I can see the
        numbers of all the links at once.

        3) Although I agree with you that the search engine links shouldn't
        be on the help page (I personally put them on a page reached
        with the `i'ndex key.), there could be a lot of users out there
        who are expecting those links to be there.

I think your presentation is "clean" and sharp.  It's also great that you've
gotten rid of that silly "Choose a subject:".

__Henry