Re: lynx-dev status

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev status
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 05:22:48 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Fri Oct 23 00:42:19 1998
> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:41:40 +0900 (JST)
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
>
>       2) I have a very strong preference for a single-page main menu
>       since I can flip from top to bottom without taking my fingers off
>       of the alphanumeric keys.  (I use vi keys.)  Also I can see the
>       numbers of all the links at once.

I just hit ^E for the end.  And ^A to get to the top.

And "(" and ")" to go up and down half-pages at a time.

And of course "b" to go up an entire page.

And (just tried it) the vi-like ^F and ^B to go fwd and
back-up whole pages, too.

And I don't move my fingers off the alpha keys for any of it.

(Thank god I have a sun keyboard, with the control key
in the "right" place, else I'd surely have the carpal thing
having to reach pinky way, way down on pc keyboard!)

---

So MY opinion is to make that page AS BIG AS POSSIBLE --
that is, AS MANY OPTIONS AS POSSIBLE,

   REGARDLESS

of how many pages it takes up!

Recall that until VERY recently the EMACS editor/everything
had only one HUGE HUGE HUGE "page" for ITS "edit options" cmd --
no one was complaining about THAT.

Like that story about Mozart, some king or price or whatever
said "well, that piece has too many notes in it", and his
response was "ok, please tell me which ones to remove".

This Lynx is a mozart-piece.  And it is getting played
at run-time with only about 1/10 of its notes getting through
the Kings' or princes' "oh, we do those at compile-time"
philosophy.

---

Just another rant from me -- from the guy who talks and suggests
but programs not one line of code.  :-)   :-(

David