Re: lynx-dev status

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev status
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 02:38:27 -0400 (EDT)

981023 Nelson Henry Eric commented further on Main Help Page (revised):
>> who ordinarily would want to replace local Help files with distant ones?
-- list of such people snipped --
> Why not simply "Lynx help files:"?  Forget the "local".

i've amended the heading more precisely to reflect possible cases.

>> i really find your objection quite incomprehensible:
>> if i place my fingers on the vi keys -- hjkl -- b (previous screen) lies
> NOT an objection, a *preference*.

noted.

> You can have "screen" AND a Japanese FEP AND a terminal emulater
> all interacting at the same time

i think your preference rests on rather unusual circumstances ...

> I see no advantage at all to putting HTML 4.0 ... on separate lines.

ok, that's a valid point: i've tidied that up.

> Have you checked the appearance of your page in all three user modes,
> novice, intermediate and advanced?  Have you checked with links
> numbered, and not numbered?

certainly: all  6  formats look ok to me.

>> leaving the search engines in the Help Page is hardly consistent
>> with keeping it all on one screen ...
>> the `index file' is yet another piece of antediluvia,
>> which we might well update into a really useful list of basic links,
> When the latter is done, THEN remove the search engine links
> from the help entry menu.  I totally agree with what you suggest

no, that's just going to leave the current mess till 2-8-2.
however, i will create another `index' document,
incl the search links & whatever seems useful in the default `index':
it too can be added to the new release: check later today (hopefully).