Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.1pre.11 and news (and rel.1)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.1pre.11 and news (and rel.1)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:51:42 -0500 (EST)

> I wrote a few days ago to say that I couldn't access news with
> pre.10 or pre.11, and I haven't heard anything back.  Perhaps
> some potential respondents overlooked my statement to the effect
> that I am not on the mailing list and would like to be Cc'ed on
> replies?  Or are messages from persons not on the list considered
> impolite?  Any reply, even, "You must be doing something wrong,
> news URLs work fine for me," would be helpful.

I wrote a response, but was having trouble with my dialin connection.
Perhaps it didn't go out properly.  The gist is that I was able to
get the 502 message properly.  I don't know why you don't see it from
lynx.  My own focus on lynx hasn't been on the news reader support -
it only came up as an issue a couple of weeks before starting pre-release.
I _have_ looked at the news handling to understand the problems, but
decided it would only delay release by a month or two - comparing lynx
to tin, the latter recovers from the 502 by trying a couple of alternative
strategies for negotiating with the news server, asking it for a list
of the articles in the spool, etc.  (Lynx only does nntp access as a
sideline activity).  Maybe we'll look into filling it out better during
2.8.2 development.  As it exists, it seems to be operating with correct,
though limited ability.

> Note: the difficulty persists in 2.8.1rel.1, and I have been
> reduced to using Pine to read news.
I use tin (I only use pine when nothing else is working properly).  ymmv.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden