Re: lynx-dev ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_DIVERT_HELP

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_DIVERT_HELP
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:28:41 -0500 (EST)

> In a recent note, address@hidden said:
>
> > Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:33:51 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > lynx is built with patches to autoconf.  the patches may/may not be
> > integrated into the ongoing newer version of autoconf (they've been
> > submitted).  the patches are under my webpage.
> >
> Meanwhile, should they be distributed in, perhaps, aclocal.m4?
> (I picked up autoconf just a few days ago.)  Should I add them to
> aclocal.m4?

They can't (it won't work except as a patch to the base autoconf stuff).

The patch relies on changing the rerouting of data from the macros that
buffer the help-message text in AC_ARGS_WITH and AC_ARGS_ENABLE macros.

You could add dummy macros but it won't work correctly since the quoting
of the help-messages is a little different.  (The resulting, patched
autoconf handles everything that was legal syntax before, but the
reverse is not true).

-- If it's a concern, we should add a note somewhere.

For the longer term; yesterday the fellow who's acting as the autoconf
maintainer said that "soon" he's going to make available snapshots of
his upcoming 2.13 version.  I'll nag him about it if he's not used any
of my fixes...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden