Re: lynx-dev lynx281rel1 & VMS Binaries

From: newsmgr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx281rel1 & VMS Binaries
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:15:18 +1000

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes:

>> Thanks for having integrated my LYUtils.c/TERMIO_AND_CURSES patch into lynx.
>>
>> lynx-2.8.1.rel1 now compiles out of the box on sysV68 R3V7.1
>
> good.  I've built on VMS (Alpha: temporary account), Linux, Solaris and OS/2.
>
> It would be nice to have binaries for VMS, both for the normal distribution
> as well as for the VMS freeware cdrom.  (The biggest problem aside from
> permissions for VMS, though, is that afaik there are several network libraries
> which may be linked, and the end user may not have the runtime support).

        The network library problem is only partially true, later versions of
the commercial TCP/IP stacks on VMS include a UCX (DEC's TCP/IP Product)
emulation mode so a UCX linked .exe will work. In some cases the emulation
mode must be specifically enabled on the target system.
        I can prepare binaries for VMS 5.5, UCX 4.1 (which should work on later
VAX VMS machines) and Alpha VMS 7.1, UCX 4.1 (it is only a minor link command
switch to build a combined VMS 6.x & 7.x. version)
        If you are interested let me know what compile time options should be
included, since most of the new features are compile time flags. Should this
configuration be coordinated with other binary builders ?

                                Regards
 *      *     *     *     *       Tony Bolton
****  ****   **     **   **       address@hidden
** **** **   *********   **       MANLY HYDRAULICS LABORATORY.
**  **  **   *********   **       110B King ST. Manly Vale 2093 Sydney AUSTRALIA
**      **   **     **   ******** Phone +61 2 99490200 FAX +61 2 99486185