Re: lynx-dev Documentation patch for 2-8-1

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Documentation patch for 2-8-1
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:10:17 -0500 (EST)

> 981027 Doug Kaufman added useful corrections to documentation:
> > The following should fix some of the obvious documentation glitches
> > with the switch to 2.8.1.
> >
> > --- lynx2-8-1/README.new    Tue Oct 27 18:34:04 1998
> > Lynx Version 2.8.1 is the latest "official" release. This release includes
> > bug fixes through October 24, 1998. See the CHANGES file for a complete
> > record of all changes and bug fixes in this release. New releases are
> > announced on the lynx-dev mailing list (see below).
I guess I didn't get enough sleep before reading that -- it's from 2.8,
which in turn was a revised version of the notice in 2.7.2 (the quotes
are unnecessary, but I suppose Fote felt the need to qualify it, and I
didn't think about it in this context).

> can we expand this slightly to make clear that it's not MERELY bug fixes,
> which is what a lot of people out there might expect for 2-8 -> 2-8-1 ?
>
>   Lynx Version 2.8.1 is the latest official release, which adds several
>   useful features, including partial display and persistent cookies,
>   and bug fixes through 1998-10-24.  See the CHANGES file for a complete
>   record of all changes in this release.  New releases are announced
>   on the lynx-dev mailing list (see below).
>
> please can we avoid "scare" quotes?
> it may be official or not official, but it's never "official" ...

It's as official as anything else (let's not get into a debate about where
the authority comes from to declare something official or "official" ;).

For new/improved features, we can move on to 2.8.2 development...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden