Re: lynx-dev text area problem

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev text area problem
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:12:19 -0500 (EST)

981028 Jody Rosner wrote:
> I am the site developer for the following URL:
>
> http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/feedbak.html
>
> I received an e-mail from a blind user that the text area does not wrap,
> but simply is a continuous text line.
> currently, I have the tags for the textarea as follows:
>
> <TEXTAREA NAME="feedback-text" ROWS=15 COLS=60></TEXTAREA>
>
> on all other browsers, the text wraps correctly.
> However, after using Lynx 2.7 (?) and trying myself,
> I have duplicated the user's problem: the text does not wrap.
> Is there another tag that can be used to make this text area
> in our feedback form wrap correctly on any version of Lynx?
> Or any suggestions on making this text area Lynx compatible?

the need for a feature to edit form text areas has long been discussed.
security is not an issue -- just the usual red herring -- ,
since such a feature could easily be disabled for anonymous users.
co-incidentally, someone offered a patch this week:
goto  http://pw1.netcom.com/~aldomel/lynx.html .

it would be most useful if you could try this patch out for everyone:
the URL above gives full instructions; first, get the latest 2-8-1
from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ ; tell us your results.