Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration

From: Heikki Kantola
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:11:32 +0200

According to Frank Knobloch <address@hidden>:
> We are searching for a special terminal-based webbrowser for ascii-terminals
> (Funkterminals), so lynx would be great, but for our project it's oversized.
> Some features should be disabled and an new feature would be nice.
> In detail:
>
> - the browser has to start with a special URL and

No problem, there's multiple ways to define start URL.

>   the user is not allowed to other stuff than to
>   select a link or to fill out a form.
>   This means that he has no menu, no hotkeys
>   to generate other features/functions of the browser.
>   The only thing which maybe useful is the mailcomposing, but
>   this is not necessary.

Lynx has configuration options to disable several different features
especially if using Lynx in anonymous user mode. The restrictions you
mention above sound quite doable.

> - We don't need any specials, like pictures, animations, java
>   javascript or something else.

Lynx doesn't itself (but may be configured to use external
applications for images, animations and Java applets) cope with any
of the these so no worries.

> - It would be great if we can extend the hyperlink-tag to support
>   special keys with special hyperlinks.

Um, could you give example what you mean by that?

> - No nntp, no gopher or other stuff.

I'm not sure if you can totally remove those (without tweaking the
source code), but again you can make restrictions at least for NNTP
use.

> - No frames

Lynx has very rough frame support: it can show different frames of
frameset as regular links alongside text in NOFRAMES-element.

> Our question:
> Is somebody interested to do a special configuration for us?
> Are threre any hints how to do the specials - so we can do it?
> Any other hints?

I think with little consultation with the documentation included in
Lynx distribution creating such configuration will be rather trivial
task.

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola, <address@hidden>
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan