Re: lynx-dev Win95 (compiled) won't start

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Win95 (compiled) won't start
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:58:01 -0700 (MST)

> 981030 Philip Webb replied to Manan Shah, who expanded a bit:
> >> i just got Lynx, but when I start it, it says it has performed
> >> an illegal operation and will be terminate.
> >> I am running windows 95 and the lynx version is 2.8.
> > you'll have to tell us more: eg where did you get Lynx from?
> > do you have a binary (already compiled) or the source (need to compile)?
> >> Thank you for responding to my mail.
> >> THe lynx is already compiled and I got it from www.download.com.
> >> The directory LYNX.COM is in is "C:\lynx2-8//samples/lynx.com"

1. I think Lynx is supposed to be an EXE file, not a COM file.
2. This suggests that you called your download '...lynx.com' when in fact
it is an EXE file or a ZIP file.
3. Try renaming it to simply 'lynx.zip' and opening it with WinZip or
something similar (pkunzip, etc.)
4. If that fails, try renaming it to 'lynx.exe' and running it.
5. Failing *that*, try downloading from lynx.browser.org.

Tell us how it works out.

--
"Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden>