Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:48:32 +0900 (JST)

> (Funkterminals), so lynx would be great, but for our project it's oversized.
> Some features should be disabled and an new feature would be nice.

You're not the only one. :-)  I know of no c programmer who is interested
in drastically reducing the size of Lynx (which is what we are talking
about, i.e., getting the image down to <400 Kb).

I'm working on it, but progress is SNAIL SLOW, so don't hold your breath.
One thing, PLEASE, if you do anything at all along these lines, do inform
address@hidden, or at least me personally.  I'll add it to my references
to the LYNX_LITE (Thanks, Al) project.

> - the browser has to start with a special URL and
>   the user is not allowed to other stuff than to

My plan here is to remove all support for lynx.cfg and .lynxrc.  Everything
must be compiled in (no one except a compiler/installer with a special
purpose will be fooling around with LYNX_LITE).

> - No nntp, no gopher or other stuff.

Last I tried you could simply not link in LYNews and LYMail without
having to change the code for a slight size reduction.  Other
protocols can be cut out similarly, but that does require a fair
amount of modification to the code in some cases.

If you have significant coding skills, try to remove LYTraversal.

> Are threre any hints how to do the specials - so we can do it?
> Any other hints?

First, turn off all the extras you can (DIRED, LYNX_CGI, etc.)

The chartrans code nearly doubles the size of Lynx from what it was
before.  Pulling that back out would be nearly impossible.  Maybe
you're DonQuixote? :-)  You can fairly easily tweak the Makefile
in src/chrtrans for rather significant gains, however.  If you do
this, would you pass your patch by the list, please.

Reduce the size of your buffers (see userdefs.h, MAXHIST and MAXLINKS).

__Henry