Re: lynx-dev hangups [in DNS?] in Win 95

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hangups [in DNS?] in Win 95
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 98 09:53:29 EST

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 00:05:34 -0500 (EST),
Al Gilman   <address@hidden> wrote:

>I have been having a "hung" state sometimes while following links.
>
>The display gets to the point where it says
>
>"looking up www.w3.org" followed by a blinking cursor.
>
>Using Control-G gets me out of the hangup and I can then follow
>the link without trouble.  Now, I don't believe that the "looking
>up" message is strictly on the up and up because this is a site I
>had just visited a moment before, so the IP number should be
>freshly in the cache at the DNS server.  The following try goes
>through quickly.
>
>This could have been on URLs where HTTP basic security is in
>effect, i.e. my Lynx is passing password information with the
>GET.  If that has any possible bearing on the issue.
>
>Dunno if that is any use to you or not.

I ran that binary for at least 3 hours over the weekend to help my
wife with her university coursework.  I would say I was getting those
conditions on about 1 out of 10 attempts to connect.  Connection was
through Sprynet, using Win95's Dial-up Networking, and the Vocal-Eyes
screen reader.

I experienced failures to look up as well as failures to connect, and
bailed out with the "z" key in most cases.  A second attempt to look
up a related page from the site always worked, and then I could go
back to the site I had tried in the first place.  I doubt these were
security-related, but who knows.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/