Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 05:42:03 -0500 (EST)

> I removed all the .po and .gmo files in subdirectory /po.  I put in a
> file, ja.po, which starts the process of moving strings from LYMessages
> before I begin the translation task.  You can see the file I used at:
> http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/docs/ja.po.bz2.  I set the
> environment variable `setenv LINGUAS "ja"` before running ./configure.
I got a copy (though I don't read Japanese ;-)

> Couple of questions.
> Can I assume that po/lynx.pot is the complete catalogue up to that date?
> I'd like to go ahead and get the lot translated.  (Let you and Tom get
> it to compile :)

I'll do that...

> To make a *.po file for a particular language can I just fill in the
> ``msgstr ""'' between the double quotes?
>
> What's a "*.gmo" file and how do I make it for the language I want?
>
> Even though I set LINGUAS, "POFILES and GMOFILES" in po/makefile don't
> seem to have "ja" listed..

I don't think this will be solved rapidly -- the people working on the
message support are mostly in Europe.  8-bit character sets will probably
work, but not 16-bit characters (I assume that's what you want?)

I'm not sure how to test this (suggestions on fonts, etc., are welcome)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden