Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:38:52 -0500

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 08:53:01PM +0900, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> > > Got the following fatal error (SunOS4.1.3):
> > > cd po && make CC="gcc" make: Fatal error in reader: makefile, line
> > > 132: Macro assignment on dependency
> Any idea at all what this is?  How I might work around it?

Sorry, I meant "GNU make" was required (I said gcc). I (or someone)
needs to revise the po/makefile.in to have it generate a makefile that
is more generic. I know there are other make issues, such as the fact
that "make distclean" didn't remove the NetBSD gmo files from that
directory.

> > The gmo file is the machine specific language object.  The po
> > makefile.in generates code intended for gcc, which I had to use under
> > Digital UNIX to build that directory.
> I guess I was a bit too optimistic about all this.  Should I be working
> on getting the po directory to compile first, and then go to Lynx?  The
> intl directory seemed to successfully compile, which maybe got my hopes
> up too high.

It compiles on several UNIX flavors now, so Sun shouldn't be too hard. I
got an earlier run to compile on SLCC, but got no messages.

> > Michael T. Smith <address@hidden> told me this about Solaris:
> > > I've been fixing CSuite il8n on Solaris for the past few days. The
> The rest of this is WAY beyond my capabilities.  Other than join the
> address@hidden, which I did, is there anything I can be doing?  I'll have to
> do much of the work on SunOS4.1.3, at least initially.  Later I will get
> back on to the Solaris2.6 available to me.

Once these patches are more widely tested, I expect other user help.

> > > duplicate strings) -- apologies if it's too large for your
> > > mailbox. On Solaris make sure you run
> > >     msgfmt -v -o lynx.mo lynx.po
> So this is how to make the *.gmo file?  Where do you come by msgfmt?

Yes; it may be on SunOS.  If not, try building this for reference:
http://www.suse.de/~ke/hello-1.3.18.tar.gz
msgfmt is part of GNU gettext (see your local GNU site for this).
I used hello to figure out how to do international text, then
copied its' rules plus references from CSuite to build by version.

> > > then copy lynx.mo into (LOCALEDIR)/fr/LC_MESSAGES/.
> > > I forget where in Lynx LOCALEDIR is defined; we use
> > > /var/csuite/intl/locale/ but /usr/locale or /usr/local/locale is
> > > probably the default.
> I assume all of this can be done within my $HOME directory?
I haven't done this other than root, although it should be feasible
to have LOCALEDIR be under $HOME.

> > I'm still learning how to set this all up. I had picked a few
> > languages
> If you have any hints, throw'em my way.  I'm totally lost.

See if hello compiles.  There is one Japanese author in the AUTHOR
file who may be able to help you.

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Oh, not another one...