Re: lynx-dev compiler warning in HTFile.c:1065

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev compiler warning in HTFile.c:1065
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 05:28:24 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Tue Nov  3 18:59:01 1998
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev compiler warning in HTFile.c:1065
>

> > got the following compiler warning (2.8.1rel.1, SunOS4.1.3, slang1.2.2):
> >
> > WW/Library/Implementation -O2 -DSUN -DSUN4
> > -I../../../WWW/Library/Implementati
> > on/ -DXMOSAIC_HACK -DACCESS_AUTH -c
> > ../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c
> > ../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c: In function `HTEditable':
> > ../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c:1065: warning: passing arg 2
> > of `ge
> > tgroups' from incompatible pointer type
>
> This is what's going on (I'm not at the moment certain whether you're
> seeing a bug or a feature):  getgroups takes an argument which is an
> array of gid_t.  For the normal SunOS 4.x, this is really an integer (int),
> but the /5lib environment can really be a short integer.  But that's
> tested properly if you're using the compilers designed for that purpose.
>
> I think configuring with gcc confuses things a little because the
> declaration of gid_t is really a short in both cases -- but when I studied
> this a month or so ago, it seemed to be doing the right thing in the
> configure script (including for slang).  But I'll look at it again.
>
> > __Henry

If gnu's configure, or gcc itself, or whatever it is you are talking
about, has a problem, please tell them.

I don't know where you post it; there is a gnu.misc.discuss newsgroup;
maybe they'd see a post and tell you what to do with it, eg where
to email it to.

Yes, just grepped big .newsrc-list.  There is a gnu.gcc.bug, and
also a gnu.gdb.bug.

david