Re: lynx-dev Misplaced? <dd> breaks anchor.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Misplaced? <dd> breaks anchor.
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 05:58:48 -0800 (PST)

Try -tagsoup, huh?

Well, since in this situation I might have a big history
list built up, and not want to exit lynx to rerun
with a different option, I'd just type "o", and turn
it on from the options page!!!!!!

    :-(

For the umpteenth time, I remind everyone that TRN (newer
and newer versions all the time, really great newsreader)
has one char (I forget, I never need to use it for trn)
that lets you type in a line of options, at runtime,
just as you would on the command line (complete with
minus signs).

And again, I say that any concern about the size of the options
page having to be one-screen-only, is INSANE.

I mean, some of us have 20-inch screens, some 14-inch, soon
some a palm-pilot or the like, and maybe even a dick-tracy
wristwatch-display!

"What is 'one screen'?", a koan for the computer age.

David

PS: the way I do things is to start something running, and
KEEP IT UP FOREVER, or for as long as my isp-session.  I want to
give COMMAND-LINE options ON the COMMAND-LINE only ONCE, when
I first sign in for a two hour session on the isp.

Anything else, I want to do it at RUN TIME.

Just as with emacs!

Browsing the net is a continuous thing, once on the isp.  You have
all this info built up, eg in the history stack, the "V" list, etc.
You sure don't want to LOSE it.

SUGGESTION: you be able to "suspend" all that stuff into a file,
and then restart lynx via eg a "-restart [optional filename]",

That would help, but it is still stupid that you have to
eg TRY tagsoup for ONE bad site by taking down lynx and
restarting.  Just not user-efficiency-friendly.

QUESTION: just what IS the problem with more stuff changeable
at runtime?

David again