Re: lynx-dev -cookie_file problem

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -cookie_file problem
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:52:03 -0500 (EST)

> > If an option is overridden by the command line,
> > then user goes into the options menu and saves it,
> > will the value from the command line switch be the new default?
>
> there are  3  levels involved, not  2 :
>  .lynxrc  -switch  change-in-option-in-form ;
> if the latter is saved a/a merely changed for current use,
> it gets written into  .lynxrc  for use next time Lynx is executed,
> depending on whether  -switch  is added to the command at that time.

Let's see - are there not these possible places where values can be set:

When building lynx:
hard coded values in source distribution
configure generated values from configuration time
userdefs.h edited by install person before build time

At run time:
site wide lynx.cfg file
personal .lynxrc
command invocation time switches
runtime option menu

These are presented from lowest to highest priority - lynx merges these into
a single set of current operational values.

Now, when the user goes into the options menu and saves the values, whatever
is represented there becomes the personal .lynxrc values which will be read
in the next time lynx is invoked.

However, lynx does not make another pass thru all the above to reinitialize.
So the command line switch values which cause changes to the lynxrc/option
menu options, if not modified by the user on the form before saving the values,
get used during the next invocation.
<URL:http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."