Re: lynx-dev internationalization

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internationalization
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 09:13:27 +0900 (JST)

> Does this looks useful to change XXX_TITLE to open text string?

Not as important as strings containing instructions, but it would be
VERY nice to have native language titles, too.

I'm not a programmer, so I cannot make decisions concerning the way
things are coded, but it would seem more efficient to have XXX_TITLE,
and other strings repeated in multiple places, be defined like:

#define LYNX_TRACELOG_TITLE gettext("Lynx Trace Log")

rather than the present ``#define LYNX_TRACELOG_TITLE "Lynx Trace Log"''?
Wouldn't such an approach, if it's possible at all, also aid in with
backward compatibility?

> > ! strcmp((curdoc.title ? curdoc.title : gettext("")),
                                                    ^^
I suspect Jim used a script to edit the source files so this kind of
error popped up.  The "", i.e., nothing, string is reserved for required
header information in the *.po file.  Therefore if Lynx does go the GNU
NLS route, past and future "" need to be handled with a NUL define, or
something like that.

__Henry